Any company that works with transportation and logistics understands the need to adhere to all transportation regulations. As a first step in ensuring that products are transported smoothly, make sure that perhaps the driver has a commercial vehicle license (CVL). A person without a genuine driving license is illegal from driving a motor vehicle under the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988.
So, if you want to get a commercial driver’s license, this guide will give you all you need to know about CVLs, eligibility requirements, and how to apply driving license online& offline required documents.
What is a Commercial Vehicle / Heavy Vehicle Licence (CV/HVL)?
A commercial vehicle license, often known as a commercial license, is an official document issued by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) in several states of India that allows the holder to operate a heavy motor vehicle or commercial vehicle.
A commercial driver’s license is required for anybody operating and driving a vehicle that has been registered for business usage (to move products or persons) (CDL). After submitting the required paperwork (listed in the sections below) and clearing a driving test, a candidate will become a licensed CDL driver.
Vehicle type determines the kind of commercial license.
Types of commercial vehicle
The many types of commercial vehicle licenses are listed below.
Licenses for commercial vehicles come in a variety of types. Their categorization is determined by the type of commercial motor vehicle for which they are issued. The eligibility requirements for becoming a CDL driver vary depending on the vehicle class.
LMV stands for “light motor vehicles” (cars, taxis, delivery vans, etc.).
MGV type of license issued for Medium Goods Vehicles
HMV type of license issued for Heavy Motor Vehicles
HGMV type of license issued for Heavy Goods Motor Vehicles
HPMV type of license issued or Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicles
HTV for Heavy Transport Vehicles
List of criteria for acquiring a heavy vehicle driving license in India.
Before applying for a heavy vehicle license in India, applicants must first meet the following fundamental requirements. A person can only apply for heavy vehicle driving license at the appropriate government department of India once they have met these requirements.
The candidate for a commercial driver’s license must be at least 18 years old in order to qualify. Minimum age of 20 is required in many states.
Qualification in education
The candidate must have completed at least the eighth grade. This factor is required to ensure that the candidate can read and understand essential road and traffic signs and symbols.
Mental and physical well-being
The candidate’s mental health should be in good standing. An insane or mentally unsound person’s driving privileges would be harmful to him and others on the road. It is also important that the candidate is in good physical condition.
Training in driving is provided
To be qualified to apply for heavy vehicle driving license, the candidate must first get driving instruction from a government training center or any other institute associated with the State Government.
Before applying for a license with the Government of India, the candidate must have a valid learner’s license.
Methods of Applying for a heavy motor vehicle drivers’ license:
There are two alternatives available to apply for CDL. One can apply either online or offline.
What is the process for applying for a commercial driver’s license (CDL) online?
Commercial driving license candidates have the option of apply driving licenseonline due to the digitalization trend. To accomplish this, follow the steps outlined below:
- Go to the RTO’s official website, click “driving license-related services,” then scroll down to find your state.
- On the following page, pick “New Driving License” from the drop-down menu on the left side of the screen.
- To complete your application, click “Continue.”
- The candidate must complete the first section of the application by providing all of the appropriate information. This section is separated into three forms: Form 4 (licensing application), Form 1A (medical Certificate), and Form 5. (a certificate that is issued by the driving institute).
- The second section necessitates the uploading of all necessary documents as relevant documents.
- Finally, the candidate must attach a photograph and signature. This regulation is only in existence in a few states.
- The candidate must next choose a time for their driving test. This, too, is only valid in particular cities.
- The applicant must then pay the license fees in the last section. The applicant must pay for both the issuing of a driver’s license and the driving license test.
What is the process for applying for a commercial driver’s license (CDL) offline?
- To apply offline, go to your local RTO office and fill out all of the necessary forms.
- Fill out the applications and bring them to the RTO with self-attested Xerox copies of everything you need. Assemble the documents and connect them to the application form. You’re also supposed to keep the originals on you.
- You will receive an acknowledgment number after submitting the form and supporting documents.
- An alert will also be sent to the contact number you provided. You will also receive notice of the dates on which you must appear for your driving test.
The candidate must present for the driving test on the day provided or chosen by himself. They will be issued a driver’s license after passing the driving test.
List of Required Documents
The following documents are necessary to obtain a commercial driver’s license:
- Proof of address (eligible proofs are Passport, voter id, ration card, Aadhaar card, or utility bill).
- Proof of Identity (eligible proofs are PAN card, voter id, Passport, Aadhaar card, birth certificate, or 10th pass certificate).
- A medical certificate from a licensed physician is required (Form 1A).
- A certificate from a driving school or institution is required (Form 5).
- Passport-sized photographs.
Obtaining a commercial driver’s license is not as difficult as it may appear, but it must be earned. Simply ensure that you are properly trained and qualified, take the tests, and the license can be yours! You should also ensure you have all of the necessary papers with you, such as vehicle insurance, PUC, Registration certificate of the vehicle, and other vehicle-related documents.