The village in Anuradhapura District has been named after Late Maduluwave Sobitha Thero, who played a key role in bringing President Maithirpala Sirisena to power.
The foundation stone was jointly laid by Parliament speaker Mr. Karu Jayasuriya, Minister of Housing and Construction Mr. Sajith Premadasa and Acting High Commissioner of India Arindam Bagchi in presence of other dignitaries.
The project envisages construction of 153 new houses, a multipurpose community building and alms hall, internal water supply system and renovation of Monk’s Quarters & library.
It is part of India’s development cooperation with Sri Lanka amounting to around 2.8 billion US dollars.
Ministry of Housing and Construction is the Implementing Partner from the Government of Sri Lanka for this project.
Two other projects to construct model villages in each district and model villages in Southern Province of Sri Lanka comprising of a total of 1200 houses are also under progress.