Sydney Shooting: Shooter Navid Akram Evaded Intelligence in 2019, Killed 15 Six Years Later

Sydney, December 15 – Both shooters involved in the Bondi Beach shooting in Australia were Pakistani nationals. Investigation revealed that the father-son duo from Lahore opened fire on a crowd gathered to celebrate the Hanukkah festival, killing 15 people.

The eight-day Hanukkah festival began on Sunday evening when two men started shooting at people present at Bondi Beach. The shooters showed no mercy to anyone, whether children or elderly, firing relentlessly. After chaos ensued, the police intervened, and one attacker was killed. The deceased was identified as Sajid Akram (50). New South Wales Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon confirmed that in the response, Sajid’s son Navid Akram (24) was injured.

The youngest victim was a 10-year-old girl who died during treatment at a children’s hospital. The deceased also included an 87-year-old senior citizen.

The investigation team revealed that before the attack, the shooters told their family they were going fishing on the South Coast. This shooting is being called the most dangerous mass shooting in Australia in nearly three decades.

It is surprising that the shooting took place in a country known for its strict gun control laws. Authorities stated that Navid Akram was an Australian-born citizen. According to Australia’s Home Minister Tony Burke, Sajid Akram came to Australia on a student visa in 1998, which was later converted to a partner visa in 2001 and then to a resident return visa.

Following the attack, police raided the shooters’ home in Bonnyrigg, southwest Sydney, and another property in Campsie on Sunday night. A vehicle was found on Campbell Parade in Bondi containing several improvised explosive devices. Commissioner Lanyon said, “A rescue bomb disposal unit is currently working on the vehicle.”

Police officials have termed the incident a terrorist attack. Commissioner Lanyon confirmed that weapons and explosives were recovered from the suspects and their car.

According to a report by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, the Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCTT), comprising state and federal agencies, is investigating the case. The JCTT believes the attackers had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State terrorist group.

Senior officials, speaking anonymously, said two ISIS flags were found inside the attackers’ car at Bondi Beach. Footage from the scene shows one flag attached to the car’s bonnet.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese stated that Navid Akram first came under the radar of the intelligence agency ASIO in October 2019. He was investigated for about six months but was later deemed not a threat. Officials said Navid had links with ISIS terrorist Matari, who is currently serving a seven-year jail term and claimed to be an Australian commander of the terrorist group.

Matari was part of an ISIS cell including several Sydney residents, many of whom were later convicted of terrorism-related crimes. Sources close to the investigation said these individuals were also close to Navid Akram.

The JCTT includes ASIO, New South Wales Police, Australian Federal Police, and the NSW Crime Commission. On Monday morning, Commissioner Lanyon said Sajid Akram had held licensed firearms for the past ten years.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald, Navid Akram was an unemployed bricklayer who lost his job about two months ago after his employer went bankrupt.

The Akram family lives in a three-bedroom house purchased in 2024; previously they resided in Cabramatta. Navid lived with his parents, a 22-year-old sister, and a 20-year-old brother.

Navid’s mother, Verina, told local media that her son last contacted the family Sunday morning, a few hours before the shooting. She said she could not recognize her son in the photos taken at the scene and insisted she did not believe he was involved in violence or extremist activities.

(Udaipur Kiran)

BREAKING NEWS:
Get 365-day plans under ₹2000 before price hike! IPL 2026: Vaibhav Sooryavanshi Leads in Sixes! Rajasthan Royals lose despite Sooryavanshi’s fiery innings: Key culprits!