Hong Kong, November 29 (Udaipur Kiran): The death toll in the massive fire that broke out in eight high-rise residential buildings in Hong Kong on November 26 has risen to 128. Most of the victims are so badly burnt that their identification is extremely difficult. The city, known for its energy and glitter, is facing one of the worst fire disasters in its history.

According to a report by The Standard, Hong Kong’s most widely read newspaper, senior officials said at a press conference on Friday that five more bodies were recovered from the site early in the morning, including two children. By afternoon, the number of deaths increased from 94 to 128. Rescue teams are still combing through the smouldering towers in search of survivors. Officials said the fire in four buildings had been brought under control by Thursday night, while firefighting operations were still underway in three towers. One tower had earlier been declared safe. However, during the final phase of rescue operations early Friday, the fire flared up again, filling the area with thick smoke. All the affected buildings are located in the Tai Po Wang Fuk Court area.
Hong Kong’s Security Secretary Chris Tang Ping-keung said at the press conference that more people could still be found inside the burning buildings. He informed that 108 bodies have been recovered so far, while 16 bodies are still trapped inside the towers. Among those rescued, four later died in hospitals. According to the report, only 39 victims have been officially identified so far. Tang also said that 467 missing persons reports have been received since the fire broke out. However, the actual number of missing persons may be lower as multiple relatives have reported the disappearance of the same individuals. At present, 79 injured people are undergoing treatment in hospitals.
There are around 2,000 flats in these eight towers. Officials said on Thursday that three officials of the construction company have been arrested in connection with the incident, including two directors and one consulting engineer. Health Secretary Lo Chung-mau said many victims died due to suffocation caused by smoke inhalation. A case of culpable homicide has been registered against the arrested officials.
Bhupendra Singh Chundawat is a seasoned technology journalist with over 22 years of experience in the media industry. He specializes in covering the global technology landscape, with a deep focus on manufacturing trends and the geopolitical impact on tech companies. Currently serving as the Editor at Udaipur Kiran, his insights are shaped by decades of hands-on reporting and editorial leadership in the fast-evolving world of technology.



