HYDERABAD : New Zealand’s food safety authority said on Wednesday it was investigating the contamination of leading Indian spice brands MDH and Everest, following investigations in other countries.
The United States and Australia are investigating the contamination after Hong Kong last month banned the sale of three spice mixes from MDH and one from Everest because they contained high levels of cancer-causing ethylene oxide. Singapore has ordered a recall of Everest spice mix

In a statement to Reuters, the New Zealand Food Safety Authority said it was aware of the overseas recall. “Ethylene oxide is a human carcinogen and its use in food sterilization is being phased out in New Zealand and other countries.
As MDH and Everest spices are also available in New Zealand, we are addressing this issue,” said Jenny Bishop, the regulator’s acting deputy director-general.
MDH and Everest did not immediately respond to Reuters requests for comment. They claim that their products are safe to consume.
Indian regulators have inspected MDH and Everest facilities and sent samples for testing after a global review, but the results have not yet been released.
MDH and Everest have been household names in India for decades. Their products are also exported to America, Europe, Southeast Asia, the Middle East and Australia.
MDH will reject an average of 14.5% of its exports to the United States since 2021 because of salmonella bacteria, according to a Reuters analysis of data from the US Food and Drug Administration.
Bhupendra Singh Chundawat is a seasoned technology journalist with over 22 years of experience in the media industry. He specializes in covering the global technology landscape, with a deep focus on manufacturing trends and the geopolitical impact on tech companies. Currently serving as the Editor at Udaipur Kiran, his insights are shaped by decades of hands-on reporting and editorial leadership in the fast-evolving world of technology.



