Kochi, Sep 28 (udaipur kiran) Kerala Chief Secretary Tom Jose on Saturday said steps were being taken to demolish the Maradu flat complex as per the Supreme Court order.
Jose told the media that he had already submitted in the Supreme Court the Kerala government’s plan of action for this.
The apex court had on September 6 ordered demolition of the complex by September 20 for violating the Coastal Regulation Zone rules.
On Friday, it directed the Kerala government to disburse Rs 25 lakh as interim compensation to each flat owners within four weeks. The top court added that the money for the compensation should be recovered from the builders of the complex.
The top court also ordered appointment of an expert committee comprising a retired judge and a technical and civil expert to decide on any increase in the compensation amount, and to oversee the demolition.
“We have started taking steps against the builders and their assets would be frozen. We will act according to the plan submitted in the Supreme Court,” said Jose.
Two hundred and forty families occupy 356 flats in four buildings in the Maradu complex. According to the plan of action, the residents have to vacate the flats on Sunday. The demolition would be completed in 90 days and the debris would be cleared in another 30 days.
However, the residents say the Rs 25 lakh compensation is too little and have decided to not leave their homes.