NEW DELHI:The star-studded 89th Academy Awards began with singer-actor Justin Timberlake performing on his Oscar-nominated song “Can’t stop this feeling”. Timberlake then introduced the ceremony’s host Jimmy Kimmel, who continued this year’s awards season trend of taking a jibe at US President Donald Trump.
Bollywood beauty Priyanka Chopra walk down the red carpet and took elegance a notch higher. However, Indian-origin British actor Dev Patel couldn’t win an Oscar as American actor Mahershala Ali bags Best Supporting Actor trophy for ‘Moonlight’. The 43-year-old actor became father this week.
Here are the live updates:
- ‘The Jungle Book’ bags the Academy Award in the Best Visual Effects category.
- ‘La La Land’ gets its first Oscar for Best Production Design.
- ‘Zootopia’ wins best Animated Feature Film at Oscars.
- Oscar for Best Animated short film goes to ‘Piper’.
- Director Asghar Farhadi’s Iranian drama ‘The Salesman’ wins Best Foreign Language Film at Oscars. Iranian director refused to attend the Academy Awards in protest against Trump’s immigration ban.
- Viola Davis bags golden statuette for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for ‘Fences’. Viola receives standing ovation at the award ceremony.
- The Best Supporting Actor award goes to Mahershala Ali for ‘Moonlight’.
The ceremony went political as celebrities including Ruth Negga and Barry Jenkins registered protest against US President Donald Trump’s travel ban at the 89th Academy Awards ceremony here by wearing blue ribbons.
(With inputs from agencies)