Following guidelines are laid down for awarding Ashoka Chakra:
- The Ashoka Chakra shall be awarded for most conspicuous bravery; or some act of daring or pre-eminent valour or self-sacrifice otherwise than in the face of the enemy.
- The persons eligible for the Ashoka Chakra shall be:
- Officers and men and women of all ranks of the Army, the Navy and the Air Force, of any of the Reserve Forces, of the Territorial Army, Militia and of any other lawfully constituted forces.
- Members of the Nursing Services of the Armed Forces.
- Civilian citizens of either sex in all walks of life and members of Police Forces including Central Para-Military Forces and Railway Protection Force.
The names of the persons to whom Ashoka Chakra has been awarded during the last three years and current year are as under:
|Year*||Names of Ashoka Chakra Awardees|
|2016||1. Lance Naik Mohan Nath Goswami, 9th Battalion The Parachute
Regiment (Special Forces) (Posthumous)
2. Havildar Hangpan Dada, The Assam Regiment/35th Battalion
The Rashtriya Rifles (Posthumous)
|2018||Corporal Jyoti Prakash Nirala, Indian Air Force (Security) (Posthumous)|
|2019||Lance Naik Nazir Ahmad Wani, Bar to Sena Medal, The Jammu and
Kashmir Light Infantry/34th Battalion TheRashtriya Rifles (Posthumous)
*Year of announcement of award.
This information was given by Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh in a written reply to Dr.Santanu Senin Rajya Sabha today.