Standing on the bank of lake Pichola, are massive series of palaces built at different time commencing from 1559 A.D. The balconies of the palace provide panoramic view of “Jag Niwas” (Now world wide famous Lake palace hotel), Jag Mandir on one side and on the other the city of Udaipur.
It’s main entrance is through the triple-arched gate-The tripolia, built in 1725. The way now leads to a series of courtyards, overlapping parations, terraces, corridors and gardens – a harmonic profusion hard to describe.There is a Suraj Gokhda, where the Maharanas of Mewar presented themselves in the times of trouble to the people to restore confidence. The Mor-Chowk (Peacock Courtyard), get its name from the vivid mosaics in glass decorate its walls. The Chini Chitrashala is noteworthy while a series of wall paintings of Krishna are on display in Bhim Vilas.
There are numerous other palaces Dilkhush Mahal, Sheesh Mahal, Moti Mahal and Krishna Vilas- in memory of princess of striking beauty who poisoned herself to avert bloody battle for her hand by rival princess.
Now the palace is housed with many antique articles, paintings, decorative furniture and utensils which attracts thousands of visitors every day.