4 suspects, 3 men and one woman, one of them Australian arrested.
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison also confirmed that one of those arrested is Australian.
PM Scott Morrison described the shoot out as a racist hate crime. He offered condolences to those impacted.
All schools in the city had been placed in lockdown in response to “a serious ongoing firearms incident”.
Central city buildings, including the Civic Offices and Central Library, were also placed in locked down mode. The city council offered a helpline for parents looking for kids attending a mass climate change rally nearby. The attack happened as some of Bangladesh players disembarked from a team bus and were about to enter the mosque.
Bangladesh Cricket Board spokesman Jalal Yunus said most of the team travelled by the bus to the mosque in Christchurch and were about to go inside when the incident happened. The entire team escaped unscathed after the deadly shooting.
New Zealand cricket board and its Bangladeshi counterpart took a joint decision to cancel the third Test match between New Zealand and Bangladesh was scheduled to start on Saturday.
New Zealand police commissioner also told reporters that they have defused a number of improvised explosive devices found on vehicles after the Mosque shootings.
Meanwhile, Indian embassy in New Zealand in a tweet said “We are shocked to hear about the shooting in Christchurch. Any Indians needing assistance should contact us at 021803899 or 021850033.
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has condemned the attack. He warned of new attacks like the “New Zealand massacre” unless strong measures are taken by the world, particularly by Western nations.
German Foreign Minister has also expressed shock and sympathy with New Zealand.