Aid agencies on Thursday said, more than 100 migrants were missing after an overloaded boat sank off the Libyan coast east of the capital near the port city of Khoms. A spokesman for the Libyan navy said that about 145 migrants were rescued by the Libyan coastguards.
A wooden boat carrying around 250 people, including women and children, sank some five nautical miles from the coast.
The head of the UN refugee agency Filippo Grandi tweeted that it is the worst Mediterranean tragedy of this year.
It comes only a few weeks after some 68 migrants died when an Italy-bound boat sank off Tunisia earlier in July.