Breaking News
Tuesday , August 22 2017
Home / INDIA / Diwali to come Spark-less for Singhvi & Co

Diwali to come Spark-less for Singhvi & Co

Udaipur : With the extension of judicial custody till November 19, this festival of Diwali  would pass away like any other day for suspended principle secretary Ashok Singhvi and the seven other accused in the much hyped mine graft case. The accused who are lodged at the Udaipur central jail would get nothing special other than ‘Halwa’ that would be included in the prison meal on the Diwali day. With strict restrictions on fireworks and crackers inside jail premises and no rituals like ‘Laxmi poojan’ performed, the festival of light would pass away like an ordinary day. Maximum participation would be that of an evening Deepak-aarti at the jail temple on the occasion.

The special ACB court had on September 24, had ordered judicial custody for Singhvi, suspended officers Pankaj Gehlot and Pushkarraj Ameta, Mine owner SherKhan, middleman Sanjay Sethi, Chartered Accountant Shyam S Singhvi, Rasheed Khan and Dhirendra. “ Law permits some leniency to under trial prisoners as compared to the convicted ones and if their family members make any request , we would allow as per the prison manual. So far we have not received any request from family members nor any demands have been made by the accused either ” claimed Preeta Bhargava, the Jail Superintendent.

Meanwhile, all the 8 accused are told to be disciplined and quiet inmates in the prison. Disappointment and tension is evident in their behavior inside the jail.  The men specially Singhvi and Gehlot are spending most of the time in reading. Some books have been sent from their homes while few from the jail library where issuing and returning has become a routine for them. They do not have to work like the convicted ones, but like all the undertrial prisoners, these accused have to clean their own area, backyard and barricades, Preeta said.

Loading...

About editor

Close