A federal appeals court said Monday it won’t reconsider its ruling to uphold the government’s “net neutrality” rules that require internet providers to treat all online traffic equally.
The decision means the rules favored by consumer groups but despised by telecom companies will remain in place for now. But the Trump administration has already signaled that it intends to scrap the Obama-era policy.
A divided three-judge panel ruled last year to preserve regulations that ban service providers from favoring some content over others. The 2-1 ruling was a win for the Obama administration and consumer groups that sought the rules.
Cable and telecom industry groups like Comcast, Verizon and AT&T say the rules threaten innovation and undermine investment in broadband infrastructure.
Those groups asked the full U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit to take another look at the earlier ruling, but a panel of eight judges on the court declined. Two judges dissented.
The rules prohibit internet service providers from favoring their own services, blocking other sites and apps, or creating “fast lanes” for video and other data services that pay for the privilege. That means companies like Verizon — which offers its own video services — can’t slow down Netflix or charge Spotify extra to stream faster than competing services.
New FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said in a speech last week that the rules were unnecessary. He wants to eliminate the FCC’s broad powers to monitor Verizon and others for bad behavior.
In a statement Monday, Pai said the court’s decision was “not surprising.” He said the process of repealing the rules is expected to begin at the FCC on May 18.
Opponents of the rules also could appeal the case to the Supreme Court.
Judge Sri Srinivasan, who helped write the original opinion in favor of net neutrality, said reconsidering the case would…