Monday , June 26 2017
Breaking News
Home / World / 19 killed in terror attack at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester

19 killed in terror attack at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester

MANCHESTER: Nineteen people have been killed in a suspected terrorist attack during a pop concert by US star Ariana Grande in the northwest English city of Manchester, police said on Tuesday.

A fleet of ambulances was seen rushing to the venue and bomb disposal teams were dispatched soon after, as city residents opened up their doors to stranded concert-goers after train services were shut down.

“So far 19 people have been confirmed dead, with around 50 others injured. This is currently being treated as a terrorist incident until police know otherwise,” police said in a statement.

Police carried out a controlled explosion in a small park near the venue a few hours after the blast but said the item turned out to be only abandoned clothes.

There was mass panic after the explosion at the end of the concert, which was part of Grande’s The Dangerous Woman Tour. The singer was not injured, according to a representative.

Britain’s terrorist threat level has been set at “severe” in recent years indicating an attack is highly likely.

About editor